“Good clothes open all doors”, says one famous proverb. And we have to admit the wisdom of our predecessors. The first impression really matters.
So, you have finished writing your dissertation – the most serious and important project in your academic life – and now it is time to think about dissertation binding. This is why our today’s topic is dissertation binding.
For centuries to come…
The main purpose of dissertation binding is to protect your project (you have worked so hard on) from any possible harm — at least this was the purpose of dissertation binding in classical times. Nowadays, it is also a requirement you have to meet.
Dissertation binding rules
In our times, dissertation binding pursues several goals.
- First of all, it is an obligatory requirement you cannot ignore.
- Second, hard cover contains some pockets for CD’s, additional materials, photos, etc. – so without proper dissertation binding your paper will be inconsistent.
- Third, it is convenient for the reader to read and use bounded projects.
There are several major rules of dissertation binding that you should be aware of:
- Usually, there are no restrictions on paper size, but optimal is A4. Dissertation binding in the form of a massive tome would be quite extravagant.
- 100gsm paper is best for reading purposes. You do not want your dissertation to weight like several bricks, do you?
- The maximum number of pages in one volume is 400, but it is advised to split such papers into two volumes.
- Use 3cm margins for the spine edge of pages and 2cm for other edges.
- Print photographs on the sheets of the same size.
- It is recommended to use acid-free paper to avoid paper corrosion.
- Different companies use different ways of dissertation binding. So, find such company that can satisfy the requirements for dissertation binding set by your particular institution.
And our last advice – make sure you have enough time for dissertation binding, since it takes quite a while. You do not want to be late, right?
Besides, read about thesis binding and find out how to design a thesis.